At Chestnut Hill Labradoodles, as part of the Puppy Culture Program, we begin potty-training at puppy's age of 19 days old. The puppies are given a divided space in their pen to either sleep or potty; and puppies instinctually don't want to potty where they sleep. As the puppies get older, their play and sleep area are enlarged and the puppies use their keen sense of scent to potty where they were trained. Keeping their living space clean and free of and urine odors will aide in the puppies learning where the potty place is. We use all-natural wood pellets in the potty-area, which absorbs the moisture but also helps the puppies locate the potty station easily. Puppies are given positive feedback and praise and once they are ready, we transition to teaching them to potty outside like Mother does. When you take your puppy home, here are some tips to help ease the transition.
WHEN TO TAKE PUPPY OUTSIDE?
1. AFTER EATING
2. AFTER DRINKING
3. AFTER SLEEPING
4. AFTER CRATE
5. WHEN YOU SEE PUPPY SNIFFING AROUND THE FLOOR
WHAT TO DO WHEN TAKING PUPPY OUTSIDE?
1. TAKE PUPPY TO THE SAME PLACE IN YOUR YARD EVERYTIME, THIS WILL MAKE CLEANUP EASIER FOR YOU. (IF YOU CHOOSE, SPRINKLE THE WOOD PELLETS IN THE YARD TO HELP PUPPY IDENTIFY THIS AREA).
2. USE A CONSISTENT PHRASE LIKE "GO POTTY" IN A CHEERFUL VOICE
3. WAIT FOR PUPPY TO COMPLETELY FINISH, THEN PRAISE PUPPY AS IF IT IS A BIG DEAL!
WHAT NOT TO DO?
1. DON'T LEAVE PUPPY UNATTENDED
2. DON'T YELL OR DISCIPLINE PUPPY FOR AN ACCIDENT IN THE HOUSE, YOU SHOULD CALMLY IGNORE AND CLEAN IT UP WELL TO RID OF THE SCENT.
3. DON'T GIVE PUPPY TOO MUCH ROOM IN YOUR HOUSE, START PUPPY WITH FREEDOM IN A SMALL AREA AND GRADUALLY ENLARGE IT
1. BE CONSISTENT
2. PRAISE PUPPY WHEN THEY POTTY OUTSIDE
3. ALWAYS WATCH FOR POTTY CUES
4. KEEP PUPPY CLOSE
5. KENNEL PUPPY WHEN YOU CAN'T SUPERVISE
Copyright Chestnut Hill Labradoodles, LLC. All rights reserved.